Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Amarillo Race for the Cure - The Results

This past Saturday, I ran Race for the Cure in Amarillo. My friend Mindi and I put together a group from work, and Mindi designed cute race shirts with the law firm logo for everyone who joined the team. We had 38 participants on our team, up from last year's total of 15.
I also made bets with two of the guys from work. Acknowledging that I am a more consistent runner than either of them, I agreed to handicap the race. The bet: each of the guys got a 9 1/2 minute handicap, meaning that in order to win, they had to come within 9 1/2 minutes of my finishing time.
Daren agreed to negate a previous $20 bet between us, as well as to contribute at least $25 to my TSRHC marathon fundraiser. John and I agreed that the winner would buy the loser lunch, and that if he lost, he would contribute at least $25 to my marathon fundraiser.
David thought that 9 1/2 minutes was way too much time, but it was also a motivational tool for me. I wanted to see how fast I could finish the race. My goal was to keep David in my sights for the entire race. That way, I was guaranteed close to my personal best time of 23:24. I was nervous at the start of the race, and I would not talk to anyone. This local race designed to raise money for breast cancer research was, of course, very serious for me. The only light-hearted moment was while we were waiting for the start and the announcer stated that all of those in pink hats were breast cancer survivors. Of course, I wore a pink hat not because I am a survivor, but because it matched the pink stripe in my shorts. I spent a few minutes explaining this to everyone around me before the start of the race.
David has been running sprints and training for the race, but I have been putting in a lot of long, slow miles in preparation for the marathon. When he started out fast, I was not sure I could keep up with him, but I decided to try. I definitely slowed down some in the middle of the race, but I kept him in my sights. He finished with a personal best of 22:17, and finished with a new personal best of 22:38. I cut 46 seconds off of my best time! I really did not believe that I would break 23:00 this year, so I was obviously happy, if not even more confident in my 9 1/2 minute bet.
Unfortunately, Daren, with the help of his wife, came in a few seconds over 30:00, winning the bet. However, I was able to beat John, who came in around 36:00. I wasn't disappointed at all, considering my time. Apparently the bet motivated me to push myself; I might have to make these bets more often!
Congratulations to Mindi and Adrian for breaking 30:00 in the 5K!

No comments: