Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Day After

I ran twenty miles yesterday. I cannot believe that I actually ran around Amarillo for nearly four hours. A year ago, I could not have run 8 miles, much less 20. People keep asking if the completion of the 20 miles makes me feel prepared for the marathon. I don't know the answer to this question. I know that I can run 20 miles, so that definitely gives me some confidence. I also know how painful 20 miles was, so I do not want to imagine what it will be like to tack another 6.2 miles onto the end of that run. I guess the answer is that I am as ready as I am going to be. As I have stated many times, I will finish the marathon, even if means I have to crawl across the finish line. My hope is that the combination of others running with me, the adrenaline, and the spectators cheering me on will give me the strength to finish those last miles. I haven't seen many training programs that advocate more than a 20 mile training run, especially for a first marathon. The experts who design these programs have to know more than me, right?
I have also decided that I refuse to put my desired finish time in writing. Of course, I have a time in my head, but I want to be happy saying that I finished. If I tell everyone that I just want to finish, they will be thrilled for me no matter what my time. And, in all honesty, I will be thrilled for myself. I am definitely a competitor, so my stated goal is to finish and to not be the last person to finish. That's all I am saying about that.
As for my physical condition after yesterday's run, I am definitely in pain. I had a difficult time sleeping last night because my legs were so sore. Every time I moved around, I would wake up because my legs hurt so bad. I am definitely stiff and sore, but as far as my energy goes, I am doing much better than I expected. Walking is still difficult, but I am going to take the dog for a walk today to get some of the lactic acid out of my muscles. Then I have a massage! I promised myself one for finishing 20 miles, so that will be a nice reward. I hope David doesn't expect me to do anything productive after the massage. I have to pack boxes to move on Saturday? So what? They will be there tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told David that if he wanted to become a House Husband, he needs to make it worth your while, too. I told him a daily full body massage for you just might be the trick!

Adrian said...

Hope your massage was great! I hope you can somewhat enjoy your moving process! Love ya!