Monday, December 8, 2008

Nervous Energy

I have always had nervous energy. I sweat the small stuff leading up to some major event. In school, work, sports, or anything else that requires preparation for a big event, I have have always been the same -- I stress and stress and stress leading up to the big game, test, etc., but when the event finally arrives, I am fine. This aspect of my personality has served me well. I was fairly calm while taking the Bar Exam, and I was a relaxed and happy bride.
I tossed and turned last night. In an effort to avoid this occurring every night this week, I am trying to calm myself with the understanding that this is just how I handle things. I will be stressed all week. However, on Sunday when the gun goes off and the race starts, I am hoping that I can be calm knowing that I have done everything I can (minus my lack of running last week) to prepare for this race. That's all I can do.
I am going to try to spend the next few days putting my nervous energy to good use. I went for a 3-mile run today after work, and I am hoping to do 3-milers on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday and Saturday I get to enjoy hanging out with friends and family and spending lots of time and money at the marathon expo. Of course, I will also spend hours deciding what all I need for the race and packing everything I am taking for the 2-day trip.
After yesterday's post, several people left great comments that helped me put things into perspective. On Monday when I go back to work and we are all talking about our weekends, I get to say "I ran a marathon." That's something that not many people get to say, and that's pretty cool.

3 comments:

mindibz said...

Yes, it is! I can't wait to see you this weekend and cheer LOUDLY for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Christine! I just signed up to receive alerts on my phone on your split times and when you finish so I can keep up! I wish you all the best and you know you can do it girl! You totally rock! We will miss you at our Christmas party! Love, Angie

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

My name is Melinda and I work at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and wanted to speak with you about an exciting opportunity to share your story with a running reporter here in Dallas. Time is short so, if when you have a chance, can you contact me at your earliest convenience? I have been reading your blog (you are such an inspiration) and am so excited to actually speak with you!

Work (214) 559-8395