Friday, October 10, 2008

Burnout . . . or Laziness?

I haven't run much this week. Between a grueling 16-hour workday on Wednesday, and recovering from that trip on Thursday, I haven't been very productive in any area of my life. I skipped my Wednesday and Thursday runs, and I don't feel like I should log any miles today, since I am running a 10K tomorrow and 15 miles on Sunday. I found the quote below, and I just have to admit that this constant running can sometimes get on my nerves, especially when things are crazy in other areas of my life:
"Training can get on a [wo]man's nerves. There's no profit or use in denying it." - "Alf" Shrubb
It isn't that I don't enjoy running, or that I want to quit. I want to run this marathon more than I want to do anything else right now. However, it is easy to forget that it isn't all about the race; rather, it is about putting one foot in front of the other on those days that I am all alone, or after a long day at work. I feel guilty about missing runs, but I know everyone does it, and it is part of the experience of training for a big race like this. I just cannot let it happen too often...

3 comments:

mindibz said...

Burnout or laziness? Neither! You did what needed to be done (worked too much) which left you short on time to run. Then you took a sanity break after working so hard. That's not burnout or laziness in my book--that's just rolling with the punches (plus--now you're really rested to beat David tomorrow!!!).

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Christine! You've hit a plateau, but you can move past it.

I've met you once. I work with David. Just want you to know I admire that you are doing this. I once had that idea, but it went away quickly when I discovered my feet couldn't take it.

Best of luck!

cfstroud said...

Ladies - Thanks for all of the encouragement! Training is tough, but I am trying to keep my goal in mind and finish strong on December 14th!