Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Longest Run Ever

Seventeen miles! Today was the first day I felt like a marathoner. Before this morning's run, I was a half-marathoner. After today's run, I feel more confident than ever than I can finish the marathon. Seventeen miles was definitely not easy, and I sure didn't break any speed records on this run. I tried to focus on long, slow distance and staying healthy and injury-free. I wish that I could say that I am solving the world's problems when I am out on my long runs, but I spend most of my time reminding myself to put one foot in front of the other. I thought I would summarize my run today, if for nothing other than to reveal to the world just how simple my thoughts are on a three-hour run:
1.
I am a serious runner. Today I actually felt like a serious runner. I have been pretending to be one up until now, but now I truly believe that I can finish the marathon. No, I am definitely not fast, but I think today showed me that I won't come in last! Once I hit mile fourteen, I felt so awesome! It is so great to run a distance for the first time, and that feeling made the last four miles much better than all those miles in the middle. Sure, it hurt, and there were (many) moments when I asked myself why I was out running on a morning when I could have slept in, but finishing a distance I had never finished before made up for all of that. I was so pumped that I could actually maintain a running motion at mile 15 that I actually sang some of the songs that came on my iPod.
2. Speaking of Songs on My iPod... Long runs give one an opportunity to listen to a lot of the music in her iTunes library. Most of the songs on my iPod Shuffle are great for running. However, although I enjoy the song, I intend to delete "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5. I hear that song, think about my breathing (or lack of it), and that's not a good thing when you are running 17 miles.
3. The GU Challenge. I have been using Clif Shot Bloks for my fuel on long runs (I love the Margarita with Salt flavor). However, I purchased a variety pack of GU a while back. GU is easy to carry, so I thought I would give several flavors a try on today's run. I took out Tri Berry, Just Plain, and Strawberry Banana. I don't know anyone who thinks that any supplement like this is "good" in the sense that they eat it for a snack, but Just Plain and Strawberry Banana were the "good" choices for today. Tri Berry is officially retired. That flavor is just too sweet for me.
4. Drivers. What's with these people? I run on a two-lane access road on a highway. The highway is busy, but I don't think there has ever been a traffic jam on the access road of this highway, especially on the route between Amarillo and Canyon. I realize that the vast majority of drivers who pass me on my Sunday morning long runs think that I am crazy. Frankly, they may be right. However, do they really have to drive as close as possible to the right side of the road? I try to be a courteous runner -- I run against traffic, I try to wear something in a highly visible color, and I run close to the edge of the road. I am not out in the street or in anybody's way. Would it hurt these people to change lanes? Do you have to drive in the same lane I am running in, when the other lane is completely open and there are no cars for miles? Is it laziness or do you just not like me? Even if you don't like me, do you want to have hitting a pedestrian on your conscience? Seriously, just get over--that's the best thing for both of us.
5. Truckers. (still drivers, but they deserve their own category). Most of these people drive along and mind their own business. But a small percentage, typically one per run, loves to honk his (or her, but probably his) horn at me. Why do you do this? Maybe I look hot to you while you are driving 70 m.p.h. or more down a highway, but I promise you that I am not. I am sweaty, I stink, and if you tried to talk to me, you would think I had a bad attitude. I realize that you are probably bored, but you are going to give me a heart attack with that dang horn of yours.
That's about the extent of my thoughts from my run. Now I need a nap...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, Christine!

You are making me want to revisit the possibility of running a marathon.

As for drivers ... do you have "I am a lawyer" on your back? (just kidding!)

mindibz said...

Yay--good for you! I knew you would do great! You're chipping away at this beast mile by mile. It will be here before you know it, and you'll be healthy, physically prepared, and mentally ready.

cfstroud said...

Actually, the "I am a lawyer" sign is not a bad idea. Thanks for all the support, ladies! I am going to need it in the coming weeks...

Adrian said...

OK...17 miles is amazing! I'm definitely impressed. I think putting "I am a lawyer" on your back is a great idea! And, yes, I think truck drivers are probably just bored. And, they probably think you're way hotter than the 2 females they've seen in the last 2 weeks...stinky or not! Keep up the good work!!