Sunday, October 26, 2008

If You Are a Glutton for Punishment. . .

...then you should have been on my 18-mile run with me this morning. It started out well because I was running with the wind, but once I turned for home after mile nine, the wind was hitting me full force for the entire last nine miles. The only good thing I can say about today's run is that I finished it. It was one of the most painful things I have ever done, and I am frankly surprised that I didn't just lie down by the side of the road and cry. There was some positive self-talk during the run, but I also let myself acknowledge just how terrible it was. The weather reports say that the wind is blowing 25 mph from the NE, with gusts up to 30 mph. Running into this for 9 miles is like running up a hill for nine miles. It was unbelievably painful. My legs and body ached. Last week, I ran 17 miles at 11:03 pace, but the wind slowed my pace this week down to 12:01. Crazy. However, I will say that it gave me some perspective. You know you are progressing in your training when you are looking forward to a half-marathon as a "short" week! Later, I will post more about what I learned in this run, but that's all I have the energy to talk about now.

2 comments:

mindibz said...

I can't believe you ran in that! I just couldn't make myself. Hurray for having another long run on your belt!

Adrian said...

Gotta love that West Texas wind!!!