Monday, November 10, 2008

Best Laid Plans

I am list maker, a planner, and scheduler. Those are my things. I do them well. The implementation of the list, plan or schedule is often my downfall. For instance, my marathon training plan is a three-page color-coded Excel spreadsheet. It is beautiful: long weeks are orange, short weeks are blue, and marathon week is yellow. It has been posted on my refrigerator, along with the marathon course map, since August. It was, of course, edited, retyped, and edited again.
However, this wonderful spreadsheet fails to take life into account. There was no plan for the phone call I received in October offering me an interview, or for my decision to put my house on the market, quit a job, move, and start a new job in the span of four weeks. These things appear nowhere on my beautiful spreadsheet. Like almost all the other runners I know, my training plan accounts for only perfect days. Those days when the wind is not blowing 30 mph, when I have had 8 great hours of sleep, and when I get to leave work at 5:30. In other words, unusual days in my life.
For instance, when I typed up that schedule in July, I had the weekend of November 8th and 9th open. I assumed that I would be at home, run a 5-miler on Saturday and a 20-miler on Sunday. Instead, I was in Fort Worth with my husband, running around town for two straight days looking a what seems like 100 different apartments. On Sunday, we made a decision and leased an apartment.
I am sure you know where this is going, but my 20-miler did not happen on Sunday. I got in 5 miles on the treadmill on Saturday morning at the hotel, and David and I ran 8 miles on a trail Sunday morning before rushing back to the hotel to get ready, lease the apartment, and hop on a plane back to Amarillo. Even with all of those excuses, I feel guilty. Even knowing that I can do my 20-miler this coming weekend, and knowing that I have all next week off to pack up my things and run, I still feel guilty.
In the end, the beautiful spreadsheet is meaningless unless I actually put in the miles. This is the first time I have really missed a long run, and I definitely have time to make up my 20-miler and at least get in another 18 or 20 mile run before the marathon, but I really hate the fact that my spreadsheet is messed up. I hate it so much that I going to stop posting right now so I can get it updated...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW I can't fathom what you must be going through right now, other than being a mother of 3, my plans get dismantled very frequently. It will all work out perfectly for you, it's just that the original plan got messed up, and you and Mindi don't do well when that happens. Having a sister of your same personality, I know she understands full heartedly. I do know you will do great in your marathon, and you will be just fine even though your past weekend didn't workout as the spreadsheet had said. Coming from someone of the opposite personality---- YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!! Relax and enjoy your last couple of weeks in Amarillo as much as you can. Lori Cole

Adrian said...

I know your plans were messed up, but I'm glad to see that you're adjusting them accordingly in the future. I'm really glad that you didn't get up at 3:30 in Ft. Worth just so you could finish your 20 miles. So, I think you made a healthy decision. :)

mindibz said...

You've done an incredible job with your training. And now that life is getting in the way, you're trying to just "go with it"! Not always easy for folks like us, but good for you for adjusting! (and any excuse to rework a spreadsheet is well, a pretty good thing, isn't it??)