Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Running Top-Ten List

Let's face it. I have been running for over a year, but I am a relatively new runner. However, I have learned a lot about the sport over the past year, between training for the marathon and reading nearly every article that has been published in Runner's World magazine and on the web. Here's my top-ten list of running tips:
  1. Just Try Running. My friend Mindi can attest to this one. When I decided to train for a marathon, she thought I was nuts. She just couldn't understand running or why I enjoy it so much. Then she started running. Now she has a blog about the sport. Most of us have a love-hate relationship with running. I often dread runs because I know they will be long or painful, or both. On the other hand, if I miss a run, my energy dwindles and I regret the fact that I just didn't put on my shoes and walk out the front door. Give it a try. You don't need a gym membership or a lot of fancy equipment. You can just walk out your front door and run. You may love it.

  2. However, Don't Train for a Marathon to Lose Weight. I don't know how many people told me this before I started training, but it is so true. I have actually gained weight, but in a good way. I am stronger and more fit than I have ever been. I have an incredibly low resting heart rate. BUT, I am no skinnier than when I started running a year ago. Start running because you want to do something great for yourself. You will look better, but the number on the scale will not reflect all of your hard work.

  3. Do Not Depend on Running Calculators. There are a million of these on the web. Trust me; I have visited almost all of them. These calculators allow you to enter a race time at a certain distance, e.g., your recent half-marathon time. Then it does some type of fancy calculation and shows projected times for other race distances, such as a 10K or marathon. I have used these on many occasions, often to find myself disappointed at the end of a race because I didn't reach my goal time. Save yourself some time and energy and just go run a race to see what you can do. You will be happier in the end if you test yourself rather than let some calculator tell you if you have won or lost your race.

  4. Do Not Race to Win. By "win," I mean cross the finish line first. There are a lot of people out there who are faster than you. You will most likely never win any race, even a small one in Amarillo. You may win a medal in your age group, or you may not. The way I win races is to try to beat my personal best times for each distance. This often does not occur, but it definitely satisfies my competitive spirit.

  5. In Your First Race of Each Distance, Do Not Set a Time Goal. Just see what you can do. No matter what, you will set a PR and have a reliable time to beat in your next race at that distance. I have often posted about my temptation to set a time goal in the marathon, but I am fighting this urge. Make it an accomplishment to cross the finish line. You will most likely be addicted, you won't kill yourself trying to meet an unreasonable goal, and you will want to come back for more.

  6. Get Yourself Some Good Shoes. Go to a running store and have an expert examine your feet and your running style to determine what shoes work the best for you. You might not get the best deal, but you will get the right pair of shoes. Then, when you need a new pair of shoes, go on the Internet and pay less for them. It is worth the extra cash, I promise.

  7. Get Yourself Some Good Running Clothes. Don't wear cotton clothes or socks. Especially socks. You will regret it. I absolutely love the Nike Tempo Track Shorts, and REI OXT Tech T-Shirts. Although they are pretty expensive, these Thorlo Micro-Mini Lite Socks are breathable, soft, and have saved my feet from many blisters.

  8. Get Some BodyGlide, Immediately. BodyGlide is a miracle product. At $13 or more a stick, you may be tempted to skip this product. DO NOT skip this. You will regret it. Ask any runner about chafing or blisters on their feet, and they will tell you that this product is worth every penny.

  9. Figure Out a Pre-Race/Long Run Meal. There are three meals that give me energy and do not upset my stomach before a long run. I completely avoid dairy the day before and the morning of a race or long run. Everyone is different, but these are my three meals of choice: (1) steel-cut oats topped with brown sugar, maple syrup, craisins and sliced almonds; (2) a wheat bagel topped with peanut butter, honey and banana slices; or (3) two Kashi 7-Grain waffles topped with peanut butter, honey, and unsweetened apple sauce.

  10. You Don't Have to Have One, But the Garmin GPS Watch Rocks. I spent six months running without my Garmin Forerunner 405. I would spent hours mapping routes before my runs, or just running for time and hoping that I got my distance in. Honestly, this is the coolest gadget that I have ever owned. It tells your distance, your current pace, and time. If you love to analyze data after your run (i.e., if you are a nerd like me), the watch wireless downloads the data to your computer when you walk into your house after a run. It tells you how many calories you burned and your average and max heart rates. Again, you can survive without this, but running is not nearly as fun without it.

2 comments:

Adrian said...

I am COMPLETELY shocked that GU isn't on your top 10...lol. I hate that stuff!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Adrian, why didn't GU make the list???? Lori