Sunday, November 23, 2008

Well, I am officially a resident of Fort Worth, Texas. I even changed my blogger profile from Amarillo to Fort Worth. The move went surprisingly well (so well, in fact, that our Internet connection began working two days early, which means that I get to post before I start work on Monday). A lot of this has to do with the fact that we moved into a 700 square foot apartment, so we did not bring much stuff. Except for my clothes. Even I will admit that I have way too many clothes. All weekend, David repeatedly stated, "you have too many clothes." Despite the fact that I left many clothes behind in Amarillo, the back of my car was filled to the brim with clothes. I love clothes. Work clothes, casual clothes, running clothes--you name it, I love it.
There's been a lot going on my life over the past month. Much of what has gone on has been difficult and/or sad. However, I haven't cried. I was really beginning to wonder why I had not shed any tears during all of these changes in my life. I said goodbye to many friends, and even drove away from my house yesterday morning without shedding a tear. We moved into the apartment all day yesterday, and I was completely unemotional. Even for most of the day today, I was feeling just fine. David and I went for a short run, and then had a late lunch before he left for Amarillo. Then he left for Amarillo. We took separate cars to the restaurant, and when we finished and he pulled away, I finally cried. I didn't cry too many tears--just enough to release some of the pressure of this overwhelming situation. Frankly, as much as I miss my great friends back in Amarillo (especially you, Mindi), I realize that those people who are true friends will always be my friends. I also know that those friends are supporting me 100% in my decision to move to Fort Worth and take this new job. Even if Mindi wanted to stop being my friend, I wouldn't let her, so there. What's there to be sad about when I know these friendships still exist? Not much--I have a great new job and the same great friends. There's sadness there, but also a lot of joy.
I start my new job tomorrow. I am really excited and nervous. Interestingly, I think I am more nervous about the traffic and commute than I am about actually starting the job. I was able to meet many of the people I will work with during my interview, so that really helps. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow evening to post about my first day experience, traffic and all.
Not surprisingly, I didn't get much running in this weekend. I had a nice run today and I am hoping to get some good runs in after work and over the Thanksgiving holiday. If I am not too exhausted after driving to Oklahoma City Wednesday after work, I will probably run the Turkey Trot 10K at a park near my parents' home. It will give me a chance to work on my speed and to burn some calories before pigging out on my mom's wonderful home-cooked meal.

4 comments:

Adrian said...

I'm glad everything went so well! I guess it helps that you're moving into an apartment. I'm thinking about you and hope your commute and frist day at XTO are wonderful!! I can't wait to see you on Wednesday :)

mindibz said...

Oh, friend, we are so much alike (how scary for the rest of the world and how refreshing for us at the same time)! People keep coming by my office checking on me and saying how sad they are, and my thought has been, "I bet you are. You were just work friends, and that relationship is over. But me? Our relationship went way beyond this place." I'm so proud of us for not crying Thursday night!

Now sure, I could go on and on about the things I'm sad about with you gone--the intimacies of our everyday friendship: constant e-mails, inside jokes about this place, watching the Ags play every basketball game, monthly pedis and sushi, making the cutest shower invitations ever [well, crap. i need to stop this list b/c it's making me want to cry now!] But mostly, as any friend would, I just want you to be fulfilled and in a good place.

In keeping with our emotional detachment from this move, I intentionally did not get you a sentimental card or gift when you left. Of course, I have both ready to give you, but I'll wait until White Rock when enough time has passed that we shouldn't be all blubbery!

[Oh-and another way I tolerate this whole thing is to remind myself that there's the off chance you could "come home" one day (you don't want to raise your kids to be DFW nut jobs; do you?), but we'll pretend like that's a completely non-delusional thought for now.]

mindibz said...

Oh, and I'm trying not to hold a grudge that you haven't sent me your work e-mail yet!

krgoree said...

Good luck with your new job. I hope you and David have a great Thanksgiving. Tell your family Happy Thanksgiving and ask your mom to look after Whitney for Melissa. (Melissa just found out that Whitney probably leaves next week for Turkey).