Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Saying Goodbye to the "Life I've Planned"

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

When I started this blog, I thought I would post exclusively about my marathon training and running. However, I soon discovered that running is only part of what it takes to train for a marathon, just like planning is only part of what it takes to truly live my life.

A little more than three years ago, I began my first job as an attorney in a law firm. When I started my job in September 2005, I was not even a licensed attorney. Now I have been licensed and trained in my profession for three years. I have always read those studies that say that people will change jobs multiple times before they retire, but I never expected myself to be one of those people.

I like stability; in fact, I love stability. Planning makes me feel stable. Planning to stay at my law firm, make partner, and retire here definitely made me feel stable. When a new offer literally fell into my lap, it was difficult for me to consider it, because it did not fit into my plans. I planned on living in my house, working at my job, and running a marathon on December 14th. David and I planned on celebrating our 30th birthdays next year right here in Amarillo with our good friends. But I took a leap of faith, and a week from Friday I officially be a resident of Fort Worth, Texas. This definitely was not planned, and I am definitely stressed about the transition. However, I have a peace about my decision. I am proud that I had the courage to take a risk, but I am also sad about leaving Amarillo, a community that means so much to me.

Friday will be my last day at work. I am mentally preparing myself for what is sure to be a bittersweet day. Although I have worked many jobs, this is my first "real" job. Even though I am extremely excited about my new employment, it is going to be difficult for me to say goodbye to the place where I have worked day in and day out for the last three years. More than saying goodbye to the place, I am going to be saying goodbye to many friends that I have made here over the years. I am comforting myself with the fact that these friendships are not ending; they are just changing. I feel comfort in the fact that I cannot even know the possibilities that these friendships hold for me, nor can I possibly know (or plan for) the new friendships I will make in Fort Worth.

This last month and a half definitely did not go according to plan with regard to my training or my life. It may mean that my time at White Rock is slower than I would like, and I am getting comfortable with that possibility. However, although it may not turn out according to the way I planned it several months back, I am still going to run it and take it all in with my friends and family.

12 comments:

mindibz said...

We can only make plans for the things we can anticipate will happen.

I was talking to a sweet friend once about wishing I knew what God's plan for me was. She told me that He doesn't let me peek because His plans for me are beyond my wildest imagination,and I simply wouldn't believe them if He revealed them to me.

I think she's right, and I find so much comfort in that. If you knew these were His plans for you 3 years ago, maybe you wouldn't have dove right in and bought a house, maybe you wouldn't have invested in friendships, and maybe you wouldn't have decided to run your first marathon Dec. 14. But because He waited to drop this job in your lap until now, you have a home you love, friendships that are important to you, and you are SO CLOSE to accomplishing your goal of running a marathon!

We do all the planning we can, but in the end, we are merely working the plans He has laid for us.

I am so glad that His plans included us crossing paths. Stay the course, friend. You're doing great.

Anonymous said...

Mindi is so right. GOD has our life and plans laid out for us, and all we are to do is rely on him and he will not lead us down a wrong path. The hardest part is having total faith and trusting him, at least for me it is. You are doing so awesome and I'm glad I'm going to be there when you cross that finish line Dec. 14th. Lori Cole

krgoree said...

I know it must be scary to move away from your plans. That's something I have never been able to do. Good luck in Fort Worth. Just imagine the vast variety of things which lay ahead of you. I just ask that you don't forget your extended family back here.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO DFW!!! I am so thrilled that you and David are moving to the area! My husband has already asked when David can start mt biking with him.

I can definitely relate to you enjoying stability and being able to plan ahead! It's very difficult for me to trust God and His provisions when facing the unknown. I remember you and Kimberly and Mindi encouraging me when I was unemployed for so long after the Bar. God had just the right job for me...it just took some time to get there and some lessons to learn along the way. But, He is faithful and will meet your needs....it sometimes happens simply day by day.

Hang in there and good luck with the training!

~Christine Toriz

Anonymous said...

Christine, we are so sad to have heard that you will be leaving, but as everyone has mentioned, God has a plan for everyone. It is when you step out of your comfort zone that you know He is working! He is definitely working in your favor, I truly believe that. I am always praying for you guys and I know that He has a hand in all of this. We love you and hope you will come back to visit your niece and nephew sometimes! Love, Shannon Cavalier

Anonymous said...

Christine, first of all congratulations on this new and exciting opportunity! I hope you jump into it with a great deal of excitement and joy! I know it is scary...and heartbreaking...but it is amazing what the Lord will do! I love you and can't wait to see you at Christmas! Love, Jackie

Anonymous said...

Christine - I wish you and David the best with new jobs, new freindships, and of course on your upcoming marathon! Remember your husband's advice...."just stay cool" How can you go wrong with that?! Tommi

Anonymous said...

Christine, I am sad to hear that you and David are leaving Amarillo but excited about the new opportunity awaiting you. I'm so glad that I got to know you both and I have great admiration for the successful running endeavors the two of you have accomplished. Christine, Jerry was so very fond of you and believed that you were a very talented young attorney with a great deal of potential. I know that you will achieve that potential in Fort Worth and I wish you and David much happiness there. Best of luck in your marathon.

Love,
Mary Catherine

Anonymous said...

Christine - I know it is very difficult to change your plans, especially when everything you've planned thus far has turned out as originally planned. It will be difficult to leave behind all of the memories and friendly faces. But, think of it as a time to make new memories, new friends and new plans. You never know what exciting new things are to come! We're all obviously very excited for you!

Your sis - Adrian

Michelle said...

Christine - I can't even imagine how frightening it must be step outside of your "plan," but I know that great things are waiting for you in Fort Worth. I've enjoyed getting to know you over the past few years, and I know that my David has enjoyed getting the chance to talk music with your David. We'll miss you around here, but I wish you all the best in the new job, the new city and the marathon! Keep in touch. Michelle

Anonymous said...

Christine- Congrats! I was so excited when Adrian told me your news! I know it's scary and nerve-racking to move away from your home, but hang in there! The shopping will be much better!!! Abby

Anonymous said...

Daren and I are so glad that we had the opportunity to get to know you and David during the three years you were in Amarillo. We too are proud of the courage you and David have shown in making this dramatic change in your lives. You are a dear friend and will always have friends in Amarillo to count on. You will have a bright future in Fort Worth and we wish you the best in the months that lie ahead. Congratulations on your hard work and dedication to your training for the White Rock Marathon. Please stay in touch! Liz Brown